Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tantrum Zone: Indian food vs Non-Indian Food.

 Getting Dinner on the table is such a production in our family.

"What do you want for dinner?"the question that is asked just about everyday, sometimes around 5-6 times just to get a satisfactory answer from the rest of the family.

I get some very interesting responses. Desi dad almost always says, "whatever you want, as long as it is Indian", and the kids chime in...." Sparky: "aarrggh,no.........NOT Indian food!!!!!, or "you made daal-bhaat yesterday, no fair, I'm not having it AGAIN!!!!!!!!",  or Spunky: " oh man...that's four days in a row of Indian food, momma" they say and proceed to flop down with their heads on the table or say something incoherent in French.(the kids go to a French Immersion program at school).
Kids are so dramatic. I am at a loss sometimes, but very rarely do I give in and make something different for the kids. I just don't want to make it a habit. They grumble, complain that the daal is too spicy, the curries are too red ( tomato sauce! hello!), the rotis don't have enough butter on them and on and on, but desi dad and I refuse to give in, and they sit there, making faces much like Calvin in the cartoon and mumbling in French " oh mon dieu.." and such, ALL WHILE eating their dinner. I hate doing it, but I guess I am trying to teach them to be appreciative of what's put before them. I try new things, and some of them are either a hit or a miss-(they love chhole-bhature though, or fat rotlis as they call them!).

Now, if I serve quesadillas, pasta or any other non-Indian items.....they gobble it up without so much a tweet out of both of them.Dinner is inhaled and done with in under 15 minutes and they're out the door. Wow.

Does this sound familiar in your household?

Picture Courtesy: google.

6 comments:

  1. Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog.
    My million dollar question- why ask?
    Make precisely what you'd like to make/eat/like them to eat!
    I've personally found that the less discussion on food the better. It keeps things in perspective.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine's on the other hand loves indian food (so far). Lets see whats instore for us years ahead. A nice blog with a nice name.

    -Uma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dipali: I understand....I could do that and I have tried that already, but I am still met with complaints! :)

    Uma: thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks 4 visiting Panchamrutham...
    Loved the name :)
    Welcome 2 the Blogging World !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there!
    The name of your blog is an instant eye-catcher and makes it irresistable to visit. Great blog and great writing. I experience the same reactions more or less from my 8 year old. But like you I do not give in. Weekdays are completely devoted to Indian food and Western treats are for the Weekends. Everyone stays happy that way.
    Will definitely visit again. Keep up the good writing

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for Visiting our online home. Feel free to write or ask a question!